Sunday, February 28, 2010

Two years later....

Well, no one can accuse me of clogging up the internet, it being a fortnight short of two years since I last put middle finger to keyboard. Here is a brief summary of my life (in poetry) since:

First, 'The Irish Poem Is" didn't win the Strokestown Poetry Prize (sigh!). But the poem carried on regardless, being published in Southword 16, which is now an online journal. It also attracted at least one offspring, using the three-across-rhyme scheme.

Secondly, I read my sonnet 'To The Poet On His Birthday" live on the RTE Arts Show celebrations for 'himself'; it too attracted a degree of imitation,but of such a scurrilous nature that the item was removed from cyberspace (ah, the price of fame...)

Thirdly, last May I took part in the Auckland Writers & Readers Festival where I was interviewed on stage by Bill Manhire, New Zealand's top poet; I was also interviwed on Radio New Zealand by the fearsome Kim Hill who flumoxed me by asking if Barry's Amusements was still on the go in Portrush (it is, but not what it was). I also judged the Poetry Idol competition with Glen Colquhoun, a brilliant Kiwi poet, and Sonya Renee, the US Slam champion (whadda gal!). A most impressive festival (take a bow, Ms Rawnsley!) and great book-buying audiences!

More recently, I gave a lecture on 'Science and Poetry' to the Irish Literary & Historical Society of San Francisco and sneaked a visit (thanks Joyce!) to Djerassi Ranch, the Annamakerrig equivalent of SF (for lake, read Pacific Ocean). Wouldn't mind spending some time there....

Finally, closer to home, I read with Eileen Casey and Theo Dorgan at Tallaght Library in an event organised by Poetry Ireland and Trocaire to raise awareness of Climate Change. I was also the trail boss for the Stephens Green Writers Group benefit reading in aid of the Irish Writers Centre. No Arts Council money so time to rally round folks!

And finally, finally, a couple of pieces on recent Sunday Miscellany broadcasts (17th most listened-to programme apparently) "A Place in The Bronx" and "A Wee Girl's Bike", both available as podcasts.

Back soon!

2 comments:

jilola said...

Middle finger to the keys
Aboard the keys the fingers
All hands aboard midfingers or not
finger a-flip ever is
the better of a heart a-flop

Nessa O'Mahony said...

Hi Iggy

You're still a more regular blogger than I am ... and that's an impressive history to recount!

Djerassi is FABULOUS .. spent a month there in 2005 ... quite extraordinary landscape, like living in the pages of the national geographic. You'd find it very inspiring. I got there courtesy of an exchange programme with Annaghmakerrig, so you never know, they might be doing that again.