Thursday, May 26, 2011

Regular readers of 'the paper of record' will know that I was a candidate (physicist & poet) for the University of Dublin constituency in the recent election to Seanad Eireann. I garnered ~400 First Preferences and exited with a final vote of ~560, a respectable vote for a first-timer, I'm told. To those who voted for me a very grateful thanks; to those who should have but didn't/couldn't/wouldn't (beginning to sound like Tom Lehrer's Sesame Street riff) you have 5 years to repent in...just kidding! Anyone who would like a peek at my manifesto can see it at www.iggymcgovern.com/seanad-election-2011

Many positives things came out of the campaign: for a start I now have some understanding of how to reach this diasporate (is that a real word?) electorate; I also connected with lots of people that I'd lost contact with; and I now have a website www.iggymcgovern.com which is primarily now about poetry activity.

Back soon

No comments: